Anita and I both love this rice pudding recipe. I've been making it for years. It can be served either hot or cold-I love it both ways.
- 1/2 cup short-grain rice (I use Arborio)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 5 cups milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. or less cinnamon for sprinkling
- Combine rice with boiling water in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Combine sugar with cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1 cup milk. Stir until smooth.
- Add sugar mixture and remaining milk to rice. Combine well. Add nutmeg and raisins. Stirring, bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to barest simmer and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until mixture is very creamy. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in vanilla. Transfer pudding to serving bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve hot or cold.